God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The tooth shall set you free

So, I've had this toothache for about three months now. There's a big hole, now encompassing the entire inside of a tooth on the back, bottom row. Ouch.

My dentist said it was infected, but at the time I couldn't afford a root canal (I have one scheduled for July 2), so I've been treating it with copious amounts of Advil. Now my ear hurts and I'm always tired. I expect that's from spreading infection? Anyway, I used a credit card to get the antibiotics, so maybe I'll feel better.

The point? I'm thinking it's no fun for folks who have no job and no insurance in our society. Life is hard enough for them without having to endure daily pain (and there's no pain like tooth pain). Canada has many failings, but they provide some level of care for everyone in their borders. No tooth left behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home