God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Summer Reading Update

With one month of summer break almost in the books, I'm just starting books number 17 and 18. This time around it's Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale (a collection of essays by philosophy bigwigs, edited by James South) and Treason by Ann Coulter.

I now return you to your regular blogging, already in progress.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Oh my God, you're a Buffy fan? That's it, I now deem you my favorite conservative ever.

Although, the Ann Coulter book . . . Is that for entertainment value? I can't talk too much, though, since I've never read it. But what I have read from her suggests she's a vile, raving lunatic.

That's how she strikes me, anyway.

3:38 AM  
Blogger Big Dan said...

Oh, of course, She's a fringe lunatic (Ann, not Buffy). I read the extremists on both sides to analyze their arguments. Not to mention she's the wittiest political writer today and includes a ton of research.

I take her for what I can get, though, as I do any writer who demonizes a set of people and blames them for ALL the world's evil. Anyway, I'm done with her now and am re-reading "A Confederacy of Dunces."

6:49 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

Good for you reading on the fringes. Personally, I'm too set in my liberal beliefs to be able to very well stand people like Ann Coulter, but having a general idea of what the fringes on both sides are saying is good knowledge. I'm sure it helps you better understand arguments on both sides of the aisle and probably helps you better pick them apart, as well.

You should put up your thoughts on the Buffy book when you're done. I'd be curious to know how it is. It's the best show I've ever had the pleasure of watching and I've had quite an obsession with it over the years--but I have not read any of the books on it, despite the wealth of material out there. I may just need to start with this one.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home