God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Sunday, June 06, 2004

Reagan bashing and you

As I expected, a quick tour of blogs reveals more than a little post-mortem Reagan-bashing.

You don't have to mourn, admire or otherwise care about Ronald Reagan's passing.

It wouldn't hurt, however, to remember a time when people respected each other, even when they disagreed. There was a time when people mourned the passing of a President of the United States, if only out of respect for the office.

Maybe I'm a 35-year old who sounds like a crotchety old man, but I mourn the passing of great men whether liberal or conservative, whether I agreed with them (or even liked them) or not.

Today's political scene is WAY out of whack when we can't even respect the passing of a President from the other side of the fence.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Good post, Big Dan. I don't know if the paragraph I wrote in my blog qualifies as bashing or not. I certainly didn't mean it that way--just more as a quick and honest appraisal of my thoughts on Reagan and his dying, which are not much. I really have no memories of him as president due to my age and I have no strong opinion of him.

Of course, the main thrust of my post was a desire to call out Michael Feingold as an idiot and, well, a bastard. Perhaps I should not have written anything about Reagan at all.

Anyway, I like you, Dan, and I hope my post--if you even read it--was not offensive to you. It wasn't meant to be an attack in any manner, just a simple and honest summation of what I felt about Reagan and his death.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Big Dan said...

No no.. I think you're fine on the issue. It's best at these times to be honest. Your post was honest.

For instance, as wishy-washy as I find Kerry, I think his response was the absolute best way a man can respond: "Even when he was breaking Democrat's hearts... etc." He acknowledged the fence while paying due respect.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

Yeah, I actually thought Kerry's statement was pretty classy. I guess he's suspending campaigning as well for a few days. It's interesting and I suspect it's as much or more a move of self-preservation as it is a matter of respect.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Heh. The guy's dead already. I figured that would satisfy his enemies. Besides that, he's been out of office for years.

Apparently people have become so entrenched in their political beliefs that they can't stop bickering even after they forgot the topic of the argument.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home