God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Friday, June 11, 2004

News boredom sets in at "God in the Machine"

Is it just me, or is it a slow news time?

Reagan died, I grieved, I'm moving on. After that, there's.. er, nothing.

The press is trying to manufacture headlines, of course, and convince us each is the most exciting news ever ("McCain might run for VP! Except he already told Hannity he won't!", "Reagan STILL dead! See 24/7 footage of people in a line!"). But mostly, there's nothing to fret about out there.. no real news from Iraq, the election coverage is already worn out and it's only June, nothing blowing up, no celebs caught in acts of naughtiness... just, nothing.

I guess I could turn on 20/20 and see what's likely to kill me today. ("Oxygen could kill you! Tonight on 20/20!" or "Why this simple q-tip could turn your home into a deathtrap! Tonight on 20/20!")

Even sports is slow. I have one word for you: summer baseball. Ouch.

NBA finals? Lakers in the finals? Seen it. Pistons staging an amazing 2-1 upset so far? Nice... um, why can't I name any of them, then?

Hockey. Is the hockey season over yet?

Somebody wake me in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home