God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Monday, June 14, 2004

It's go time!!

Over at Iron Blog, the Chairman has chosen yours truly to argue against the horrors of the Death Penalty system.

Rosemary, the Iron Blogger Republican, will be my opponent. She made short work of the opposition in her last debate, and pulled off what will be remembered as a top ten Iron Blogger moment of all times with her inspired "underpants gnomes" rebuttal.

Typically, the debates are forced to play into the IB's wheelhouse, since their political views are already known. Rose and I are both fairly conservative. I read her site at least twice a day. However, I am anything but on this issue. If she supports the death penalty, we disagree profusely there, if not anywhere else.

I look forward to the challenge. Even if I don't win (who am I kidding? It's in the bag, kids), at least some positive ideas will change brains. Allez debate!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home