God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Say "Cheese"

The wife and I are celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary today!! I think year 8 is the cheese anniversary, so to be safe I bought her a nice romantic gouda, which I will unveil at a particularly romantic point in the evening.

How else are we celebrating? Mostly the usual.. choking back tears and trying not to think about abuse of prisoners and heads being sawed off... typical Tuesday night fare.

We WILL check out the new Dick Van Dyke episode tonight. I LOVED that show... it literally got me through 10 years of cancer. The worst part of cancer is the long horrible afternoons, and DVD re-runs kept me going. I bet he trips over the footrest at the intro.. here's hoping he doesn't break a hip.

UPDATE: The show was a humdinger, but he didn't go anywhere near the footrest. I struggled the entire night to try to name my favorite Dick Van Dyke show moment and couldn't come up with anything conclusive. Richie's birth, the walnuts, the wigs, the wedding...

So how about it? Any favorite Van Dyke moments from those of you over 25 out there who still remember the show?

1 Comments:

Blogger Iron Blogger Republican said...

Happy Anniversary! I just celebrated my 8th in December. We toasted our marriage and then my husband watched me deliver a smackdown to some stupid anti-war hippies.

It's loads of fun!

Rosemary, the QOAE

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home