God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Must... Read... Book...

So I've been in seminary student mode (that is, reading four books a week) for the last 14-16 weeks. Suddenly, it's summer and I feel like Stallone's Rambo, trained to kill then dropped off in a peaceful world. I can't shake the feeling that I should be reading something.

So I have a large list of "to be read" books on my shelf, but I'm mowing them down at a startling pace. Anybody reading anything worth the time out there?

Right now, I'm reading "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson and "The Salmon of Doubt," which was culled from Douglas Adams' computers following his untimely death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home