God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

It's not Iraq! It's not gay marriage!

It's sports, and lots of it!

This link is to a sweet discussion on the greatest sports moment ever. Think the greatest moment ever was the Miracle on Ice? Well, you're right, in my book, but so few people check my book you'd better put in a vote here.

And I don't want to hear any nonsense about Michael Jordan or any dead horses.

I will entertain offers pertaining to Lance Armstong, however. I'd have gone with Lance, who recovered from cancer in exactly the way I did (if you don't count the being in shape thing - and really, who does?) except that his moment is a body of work, not a specific date with destiny or whatever.

Thanks to Sheila for the linkage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home