God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

GREAT ending

In a world of series finales where everyone hugs, or promises to write, or tearfully moves on, or gets their own series, the show Angel pulled off a tremendous series finale. Important people dead. Storylines closed. The heroes are being heroic right until the black screen. It actually felt like a final episode, rather than Friends- and Frazier-type "endings," which felt just like any other episode. I only watched them because I was in social settings with folks who cared.

And so, it has happened. With the demise of "Angel," so goes the last television show I felt I HAD to see each week. It started with the death of Farscape (crushing blow, that)then the X-Files, then Buffy. Que sera sera.

I guess I'll still look at Sportscenter and, of course, The Daily Show, but no "real" television, which will be a pleasant change. I guess I'm getting old, because everything else all seems like the same lame pile of nonsense.

Except for reality TV, which seems like the same rancid, lame pile of nonsense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home