God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Edit this, cross boy!

I ended the last post with the line "I'll be the one wearing the cross."

That's not, in the strictest sense of the word "truth," um, true at all. Actually, I don't wear crosses because I always worry that Jesus really will come back and, you know, see us all wearing crosses and what will he think about that?

It's kind of like if he had been scourged to death and came back in power to find us all wearing little cat o'nine tails pendants. Creepy.

Anyway, there it is. My lawyer will be in touch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

A few months ago, on my old blog, I had a post about that. You can search through the archives if you really want to find it, but the old blog is all on a single post, making that nearly impossible. Anyway, it linked to the cross, whips, and other Jesus merchandise. I criticized the wearers of these items by comparing it to "wearing a gun to commemorate murder victims." I'm sure that that is unacceptable. So why is wearing crosses, etc. OK? I'm at a loss to explain that.

I know what you meant, so I'm not upset. Just thought I'd point that out to add to your discussion.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home