God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Monday, May 17, 2004

The Coming Attacks

Election Day is a lot closer than we might think, and Bush is doing everything he can to lose the election.

Kerry is playing it smart. He's not a particularly impressive candidate on any level, worse when you look down his voting record, and he's staying wisely under the radar for as long as possible. That's a strategy that might work in a lesser-of-two-evils election year.

When I played tennis, my strategy was to keep hitting the ball back, like a brick wall. I'd rarely go for any spectacular shots, and since I was in shape (way back then) I could sit back and wait for my opponent to make mistakes.

Kerry has been laying low, letting Bush bury himself on the Iraq mess, which now overshadows any other news story out there, even the potential gains in the economy. Bush's only chance is to get out of Iraq at the promised turn-over date, let them get back to killing each other after a pleasant vacation of killing Americans instead, and put the focus on Kerry.

This is why I cringe whenever I open the paper or turn on the news. I expect a full barrage of attack ads from the Bush side any day now. Kerry's hand will be forced then, but until that day, you can expect him to keep laying as low as possible. Being seen and heard aren't Kerry's best looks as a candidate, and since Bush seems to be attacking himself just fine right now, it seems best for Kerry to keep the cards close to his chest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home