God in the Machine

Literally "God in the machine", Deus Ex Machina originally referred to Greek plays, where the "gods" would be lowered onto the stage with ropes in order to provide a quick resolution to the story. Today, Deus Ex Machina refers to any improbably and/or overly convenient character or mechanism that comes out of nowhere and saves the character(s).

Name:

"I don't get it, Big Dan..." -George Clooney in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Can I get another option over here?

I realized, sometime late this morning, something very sobering:

I don't have any idea who I'm going to vote for come November.

I like to think of myself as a conservative who strays from the party line on a few important issues, but reviewing Bush and Kerry (which, again, is like asking "Which Menendez brother is your favorite?"), I realize I can't pick out the lesser of two evils.

I don't even know what it's going to take for one of them to sway me to their side. I'm starting to wonder if not voting can be more than a sign of dis-interest in the democratic process. Maybe it can be a negative vote against both of the non-electable candidates they're offering up.

I really wonder what the difference is. Pick your poison. If the Dems had a decent challenger who actually stood for something, could pick a position, or hell, even a running mate, it would be no contest with all the amuck-running Bush has been doing. So, with the election their's to grab they give us: John Kerry. Kerry's election theme is, of course, "If I keep quiet, maybe nobody will notice until after I'm president." Kerry's only hope is to stay out of the public eye and let Bush LOSE the election, which might actually work this time around.

It's more and more possible that anyone who WANTS to be President and CAN become President is not someone you'd actually want to have guiding the nation. Which out-of-touch, multi-millionaire, beholden-to-special-interests candidate do you want? The one who believes things that are dangerous for the US or the one who you can't really figure out what he believes?

Somebody give me a reason to vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home